Fluffed Up Carolina Wren Preening On Windy Day

Project: Backyard Pishing
Location: Talking Rock, Pickens County, North Georgia

Approximately 20 seconds of bird behavior video'd Friday, 2012.05.04. Had been rainy earlier in the day. This Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus, CAWR) spent a lot of time in that very spot that day. Very vocal. Had company from his own species a few times, too. These guys age out so quickly, I'm having trouble telling the immature juveniles from the adults on the fly already this early in the breeding nest watch season.

The one featured in this video looks like he has deliberately fluffed out his feathers to take advantage of drying them fully in the wind. Mother Nature's blow dryer, I guess. That's not the normal look for any of them, in fact first time I remember ever seeing quite this behavior in my yard. :)

PS Is my bouncing baby first embedded video in a blog post. It appears to be doing well on dialup so here's hoping it works well on the faster connections. If not, please let me know. :)

Comments