Female Eastern Towhee Eating


Starting to see a theme here yet? If I'm LUCKY, I can squeak by any given month on "just" 100 pounds of bird seed. The one eating here is a female Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus), also not so long ago found in books as the Rufous-sided Towhee. Actually, I'm not quite sure what she has in her mouth there. Looks a little bigger than the sunflower seeds usually found there. Might be a juicy bug she found there in the Dogwood around where the bird seed is shared.

Have been living here in North Georgia since September, 1995, but have only just started seeing Towhees about five years ago while I was walking through town (Jasper). I was beyond thrilled the first time I heard one call in the backyard, and now to have the female making very showings out in the front yard this year puts it over the top. :)

Comments